Over the gate...

Designed in 1913 by Victorian/Edwardian/other architect Theophilus A Allen; John Lennon's house between 1964 and 1968; sunroom, attic and prisco stripe hibernice; Mellotron and caravan; Babidji and Mimi; mortar and pestle; Wubbleyoo Dubbleyoo; curios and curiosity; remnants and residue; testimonials and traces; (Cavendish Avenue, Sunny Heights and Kinfauns); Montagu Square; mock Tudor: Brown House: *KENWOOD*.

(Also available as a blog.)

Legal Blah: This blog is for historical research only, and is strictly non-commercial. All visual and audio material remains the property of the respective copyright owner, and no implication of ownership by me is intended or should be inferred. Any copyright owner who wants something removed should contact me and I will do so immediately. Alternatively, I would be delighted to provide a credit. The writing is by me, such as it is, unless otherwise stated, and this is the only Beatles related blog I am responsible for.

Comments Blah: Comments are moderated. Any genuine comments are welcome. Due to idiotic spamming, you'll have to press the "Follow" button on the right under "Kenwoodites..." in order to leave a comment. Offensive comments/advertising/trolling/other moronicisms are not welcome, and will be rejected.
Comments are the responsibility of the individual commenter, and commenters' opinions do not necessarily reflect my own. (NB: This blog revels in flagrant trivia. If that's not yer "thing", this won't be yer "thang".)

Correspond via: kenwoodlennon@googlemail.com

Sunday 21 August 2011

Kenwood: Takis in da house.


A fascinating email from Ken Wood sheds some light (kill me now) on the new hall pic. He points out that Greek kinetic artist Takis exhibited several of his light sculptures at Indica in November 1966. Both Paul and John bought pieces from the show. The Takis exhibition actually followed Yoko's at the same gallery, though John confused the chronology (he's not the only one...ahem) in the Lennon Remembers interview:

"WENNER:
How did you meet Yoko?
LENNON:
I’m sure I’ve told you this many times. How did I meet Yoko? There was a sort of underground clique in London; John Dunbar, who was married to Marianne Faithful, had an art gallery in London called Indica and I’d been going around to galleries a bit on my off days in between records. I’d been to see a Takis exhibition, I don’t know if you know what that means, he does multiple electro-magnetic sculptures, and a few exhibitions in different galleries who showed these sort of unknown artists or underground artists. I got the word that this amazing woman was putting on a show next week and there was going to be something about people in bags, in black bags, and it was ..."

The pic above shows Takis with one of his pieces, White Signal (1966), which was indeed exhibited at the Indica show. Compare it with the object in the new hall pic.
I reckon that what we are looking at is the Takis piece that John bought at Indica - which probably explains the photo; a Takis light sculpture in situ in a famous patron's entrance hall (missus)(seriously, kill me now).
This explanation also narrows the dating of the pic - I'd say it very likely was taken in early '67.
Great work Mr Wood.
NB: I've amended this post, as the previous version relied on John's faulty memory - I blame him for all my shortcomings.
FURTHER UPDATE: Sam Hampson has sent in the following pic, which doesn't really require any further explanation:


Thanks to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.